about Me

about Me

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Know, I Know...God Didn't Make Adam and Steve

Let me say, once and for all: HETEROSEXUALITY IS ALIVE AND WELL! I make this simple and obvious statement for the sake of the many people who, for whatever reason, write, e-mail, call, text, or post on my other blog to remind me that God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. I’m not really sure what this tired and overused phrase is supposed to mean, really, or what it is supposed to accomplish. I guess it is said to me and to people like me for the purpose of possibly snapping my mind back to the reality of the creation story Genesis 1, and to hopefully change my sexual orientation…as if a statement like this could alter my thinking about the long-held truth of my life, or my beliefs about human sexuality.

But I’ve heard it said so much, not just to me, personally, but also publicly from pulpits across America over the years (and if a preacher is looking for a strong reaction from his audience, making this statement is usually a sure thing) and in television debates over gay rights issues, that I wanted to address the “Adam and Steve” thing, and to make some observations that will hopefully bring a little clarity on the subject (and maybe stop people from saying it to me so often…).

The point is, heterosexuality is not going anywhere. Procreation is not in any danger. The overwhelming majority of the world is straight, and always will be, and men and women will always continue to date, fall in love, get married, have sex, have babies, and do whatever else straight people do. Despite what you regularly hear from the Christian right, the world is not turning gay. There is no “gay agenda” to fear in the sense that gay people are trying to recruit heterosexuals to turn to a “gay lifestyle” (which also doesn‘t exist, by the way, but more about that later).

Nobody “turns” gay. It’s just not possible. There is about the same percentage of the world’s population that is homosexual as there has always been (10 %), you just hear about it more now than you did in the past for many reasons, and so it appears that something strange or unprecedented is happening in society that isn’t necessarily happening.

Gay people, as a rule, are not anti-family, or even anti-heterosexual, for that matter…they are not against the idea of Adam and Eve. Every gay person knows that, were it not for heterosexual procreation, none of us, straight or gay, would be here! Straight people will always be straight, and gay people will always be gay. Period. I know that that statement usually opens up endless arguments on the subject, but so be it. Sooner or later, people are just going to have to realize and admit that no one is making this stuff up. If someone says they’re gay…they’re gay! They didn’t choose their orientation any more than any heterosexual chose his or her orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment