about Me

about Me

Monday, March 31, 2014

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US!

      
 
I am blessed today to be celebrating the anniversary of  a beautiful and wonderful, committed relationship that I share with the kindest, sweetest, most loving man that I have ever known, Mr. Kenneth T. Marshall. For the past two years he has been there for me, taken care of me, supported me, loved me unconditionally, listened intently to every sermon that I've preached, believed in every dream that I've talked about, walked with me through every difficult moment that I've experienced, loved and celebrated my kids and my grandkids, helped me babysit the (grand)girls, gone to every local gig that my boys have played and cheered them on (even into the wee hours of the morning), helped me see about my parents and treat them as if they were his own, respected and honored the mothers of my children (especially Debye who still works with me), fixed everything that needed fixing in my house, has virtually transformed my parents' home into a showplace, helped the tech team set up and tear down for services before we got a permanent building for CITNE, helped us move into the building when we got one, fixed things there when they got broken, learned to run camera for the live streaming, nursed me back to health when I've gotten sick, stayed with me in my room when I was in the hospital, stayed up late with me for appointments without complaining even though he had to get up early for work the next morning, checked on people in the church and contacted them when they needed ministry, laughed with me, cried with me, and has just basically been the best partner that I could have ever asked for.
 
Every day of these last two years has been filled with happiness and a joy that I never thought I would experience in my lifetime. We have enjoyed every single day that we've been together, whether travelling (which we love to do), or just hanging out watching old movies together (I've made him sit through every one of my favorites).
 
My kids love and respect him, my friends appreciate him, my parents rely on him, my granddaughters adore him, and my congregation(s) have nothing but admiration, high esteem and affection for him.
 
Ken is one of the most down-to-earth, unpretentious, good-natured, optimistic, and sweet-spirited individuals that I have ever known. He is a great father to his sons, is an awesome son to his father, and was the principle caretaker for his mother in the last years of her life, caring for her right up to her death from Alzheimer's disease 3 years ago.
 
He always believes the best in people (including me), and never has a bad thing to say about anyone. There is no drama with him. He's always in a good mood. He has a true servant's heart, and his selflessness is inspirational.
 
He's an old-school, Southern Gentleman with very good manners. I've never met anyone more thoughtful. He can fix absolutely anything, is an incredibly hard worker, and does every job, from the biggest to the smallest, in total excellence.
 
He is loving, attentive, romantic, and does everything within his power to make every aspect of my life absolutely pleasurable. Making me happy is of the utmost importance to him, and he has been supremely successful in making that happen.
 
I've known that I was gay my entire life, but I didn't come out until I was 52 years old. So I honestly didn't know if I would ever be able, at my age, to find a man that I could love and admire who could accept and fit in with my very unusual life...someone who was mature enough to be able to share me with kids, grandkids, an ex-wife who is still very involved in my life, and all the many, many people who demand my attention for ministry, literally 24 hours a day.
 
But I did find that man, and he's the man that I'm in love with...a grown man of integrity who also knew his whole life that he, too, was gay, but tried to be something that he wasn't to please everyone else and to be accepted...a man who has gone through his own difficult and unique journey toward authenticity in his personal life, and has gotten to the other side of self-revelation without any shred of bitterness or regret...a man who also waited a very long time to come out, and also wondered if he would be able find someone to love and spend the rest of his life with at this late date.
 
In a word, we are both very, very thankful that we found each other.
 
Did God send Ken to me?
 
Yes, definitely.
 
Does God approve of the life we have together?
 
Not a doubt in my mind.
 
Are we blessed as a couple?
 
More than you can imagine.
 
Is this a Happy Anniversary for us?
 
Well, what do you think?
 
If you have a different opinion or viewpoint on these things, I can only tell you that you came too late to convince me otherwise (and, yes, I've read the whole Bible, and I know what Moses and Paul said)...
 
The bottom line is that I know who Ken is in my life, and I know where he came from...all good gifts come from the Father of Lights, and he is a very, very good gift to me.
 
Happy Anniversary, Kenneth.
 
I love you with all my heart.
 
 
 
 


63 comments:

  1. Valerie Hugsy Bridgeman said...

    Happy anniversary Jim and Ken!!!! I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie Hugsy Bridgeman said...

    Lovely tribute, btw, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gregory Bowman said...

    Well that has to be one of your best posts yet! Very beautiful! Congratulations......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly Loveless Whaley said...

    Love you both, Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neal Campbell said...

    Tears and smiles both at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori Barr Guyton said...

    Happy Anniversary!! Love YOU BOTH so much!! What a sweet story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tareion Fluker said...

    :-) I am so happy for you both

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darlene L'amour Swilley said...

    happy day! lot of celebrating to do. gnite xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...sorry I forgot to call back when we got home...just left you a message...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brenda Herron said...

    I love you Jim Swill! So proud of you. Hope to meet Ken one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number 5836449 on the list of why I adore watching the continued unfolding of your relationship.

      Happy anniversary to both of you!

      Delete

  11. 15 minutes ago · Unlike · 1
    ..

    Beth Bonner said...

    Happy Anniversary! God is faithful... I'm glad to hear a little more about the man you love. Now I feel like I know him and we haven't even met personally! Hopefully we will soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joe Kuczmarski said...

    Wow that's awesome congrates from Alaska the Frozen Chosen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that was beautiful :-) happy Anniversary. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tamara Anne Murphy said...

    so beautifully said. love and courage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary and may you have many more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the most beautiful piece I've ever read...only to look at both of you tells me every word is true..God has truly given us an example of what love and relationship is made of though you both....here's to many more anniversaries and may I be around to witness the love....Love you both...

    ReplyDelete

  17. ..



    Erin Rettino said...

    Love it! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Todd Wade said...

    Wow! You are obviously lucky to have each other...you can feel the love from those words you wrote...I actually had tears in my eyes while I read it.....Happy Anniversary to you both! Much love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Robert Stamper said...

    Congrats Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  20. W. Jackie Mitchell said...

    Happy Anniversary and More Happy coming....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mystala Knutsen said...

    I feel honored to know such an amazing pair! Here's to many more !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stephanie Calvert Boyd said...

    Absolutely beautiful. Happy anniversary to the two of you! \|,,|

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cori Coriology Lamont said...

    Like every Ken doll, perfect!! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Martha Greer Smith said...

    I'm so happy for you. Thank you for being who you were meant to be. And yes, Ken is a true southern gentleman. I am thankful our paths crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jeanette Bolt Smith said...

    That description of Ken that you wrote made me sad.....sad that he plays for the "other team!" You just described what us straight girls have been looking for all our lives! Lol! Just kidding my friend...I am so happy for you and your beloved. God has truly blessef your union.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brenda Person said...

    Beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shara McCullers Greer said...

    Hoping this is your BEST year yet. I'm also thankful you've got Ken Marshall, cause that means we have him too. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jane Conyers said...

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hannah Holmes Harris said...

    So happy for both of you! Authenticity is a rare thing. Grateful that the two of you have found that and are able to celebrate it on a daily basis. Here's to many more anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ruth E.Taylor said...

    Happy Anniversary gentleman. Love you both !!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Drea Ciarrochi said...

    I've never been more proud of someone, what a journey! I love you both from afar and Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rhonda Wilkes-Kinard said...

    Love y'all to life. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ken Marshall said...

    WOW !!!!! What a beautiful message to wake up to . I'm speechless ! As I'm reading it tears fill my eyes ! Jim Swilley you are the kindest and most loving man I could have ever hoped to have met ! There are not enough words to describe how much I love and care about you . I never knew my heart would have me searching for ways to express my love for you like it does ! I have learned so much from your teachings and I'm so proud of you ! You are a man with many wonderful talents ! I love your kids, your granddaughters,your Mom and Dad and I would do anything for them just as I would for you ! I love being a part of CITN and I love your congregation ! I will always be right by your side and supporting you in what ever decisions you make ! You have blessed my life in so many wonderful ways I know God meant for us to meet and is blessing our relationship ! Thank you for all you do and I'm sure I will be reading your beautiful message many times today ! Always remember how deeply I Love and care about you and my love for you grows stronger everyday ! Happy 2nd Anniversary! I love you with all my heart !

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ed Jarnagin said...

    Happy Anniversary Jim and Ken! Here's wishing you many, many, many more years of happiness together!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dave Hershey said...

    Wow! 2 years! Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday that you came out. Truly happy for the both of you. The two of you are the epitome of the love and happiness we should all strive to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dana Harris said...

    Happy Anniversary you two!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Rachel Parker Falcone said...

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Robert Rutherford said...

    Can any good thing come out of EATONTON?!?!? Lol
    So happy for you, my dear friends.
    I am confident the LOVE you are experiencing will not destroy the foundations of America!
    I celebrate with you and look forward to many fruitful years of froendship.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Marla Cochran Grizzell said...

    Happy Anniversary to the two of you! Jimearl, when I read what you posted about your 2 years together and all that Ken has done and been there for you, my first thought was WOW...he's definately a keeper! So glad you found each other and enjoy each day you have together. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  40. Mark Alan Fout said...

    Happy Happy Anniversary to you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy Anniversary guys. I believe you both are a light for all to see just how good God is and how if you are willing to be a realationship, that it's about excepting the whole life of your partner and everyone and everything that it involves and to work through it together. Again happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  42. David B Keith said...

    JES, you are awesome. I love your words. I love you and Ken. Truly two originals, that need nothing to be complete. As they are complete together.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Debye Swilley said...

    Happy Anniversary Jim Swilley and Ken Marshall! I love that God has honored you both in such a beautiful way! HE is so faithful! Enjoy this amazing day! Big love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Debye Swilley said...

    Happy Anniversary Jim Swilley and Ken Marshall! I love that God has honored you both in such a beautiful way! HE is so faithful! Enjoy this amazing day! Big love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks, Deb...that means a lot...so, did you win a Lexus, already, or are you getting one later? What the what??? So glad the business is doing well and that you have so much favor with it...doesn't surprise me...you can do anything...

    ReplyDelete
  46. Debye Swilley I did earn the Lexus bonus! I'll tell you all about it! Thank you for believing in me!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ruth E. Taylor said...

    Jim have plenty of water at home because I'm sure he will be dehydrated from crying all day .

    ReplyDelete
  48. Diana Davis said...

    So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Renee Flewellen said...

    What a beautiful post. I am so happy for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Don Pollard said...

    Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  51. Jeannie Glover said...

    You are so sweet Bishop; I'm glad to see you so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Brian B. Williamson said...

    Happy anniversary guys!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Danny Herring said...

    Happy Anniversary to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Julie House said...

    I couldn't agree more with you regarding my very sweet friend, Ken. Pure, sincere, genuine, kind...such a lovely soul. Jim, you make him smile!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow! That's all I can say, Bishop! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete